A few minutes walk from "Il Vicolo" Residence Verona center. The square follows the system of the ancient Roman Forum and for centuries has been the center of political and economic life of the city. The toloneo, which is the central area, is still animated by a colorful market. Coming from Corso Mazzini, there are: the column of the market (1401), topped by a shrine Gothic and commissioned by Gian Galeazzo Visconti to expose the insignia of his lordship, went up stairs and pillars trade measures Verona, the sixteenth-century sedan or capital , marble canopy square, beneath which sat the mayor at the inauguration ceremony, the fountain of Madonna Verona, which has a bath and stem decorated with heads in relief and symbolic figures and is surmounted by the figure of Madonna Verona, Roman statue of the first sec. AD, the column of San Marco 1523, in white marble, on top of which was hoisted the lion symbol of the Republic of Venice (destroyed by the French, the current is 1886.) The square is surrounded by palaces and buildings that have marked the history of Verona: the "Domus Mercatorum" built in 1301 by Alberto I della Scala, the building has a portico supported by columns and pillars, large mullioned windows and battlements; 800 a restructuring it altered the original Romanesque and l ' building became the seat of the Chamber of Commerce, the Tower of Gardello, crenellated brick, built in 1370 by Cansignorio for keeping the oldest clock bell of Verona, the Palazzo Maffei, building of 1668 in late baroque style, has a terrace with a balustrade adorned with 6 statues of pagan gods (Hercules, Jupiter, Venus, Mercury, Apollo and Minerva), the Case Mazzanti (formerly Domus Blandorum Scala that, in the fourteenth, on the ground floor housed shops and private homes, while the upper floor was used as a granary), joined by the porch and the street facades of the square and Corso S. Anastasia were richly frescoed by Alberto Cavalli in the first half of '500, the Domus Nova and the side elevation of the neoclassical Palazzo della Ragione, in the midst of which is supported learning French (so named because of the presence, from the mid ' 700, a rib of a whale hanging from the ceiling) from which you enter in Piazza dei Signori. On the two squares stands the Torre dei Lamberti.
Via Mazzini is the road that connects the two main squares of Verona, Piazza Bra and Piazza delle Erbe, just a few minutes walk from "Il Vicolo" Apartments Verona center, it is one of the oldest and most prestigious pedestrian streets in Europe, built in three hundred specially to connect the two main squares.
Known as the Via Nuova, was unpaved, unclean and in many areas occupied by the canopies of the artisan. It was repaired and paved in the early nineteenth century, and in 1907 the City Council decided to name it after the hero of the homeland Giuseppe Mazzini. Today is the shopping street par excellence, which overlooks an uninterrupted sequence of elegant shops of the major Italian and international brands. Despite the great prestige and the millennial history, is largely poor architectural and artistic value. At the confluence of Via Alberto Mario, where once there was a bell foundry, deserve special attention Loggia Arvedi.
The building, one of the finest examples of neo-classicism Verona in private, was built in 1816 on the area of a dilapidated building by desire of the silk manufacturer Gian Antonio Arvedi, designed by the architect Barbieri. The facade has a central body slightly forward with rusticated walls, the ground floor is divided into three central arches with lion heads in serraglie side and head of Mercury in the middle. On the first floor there is a loggia with Ionic columns and balustrade: it has an elliptical walls and ashlar. The building was completed by a pediment within which is housed a high-relief depicting Hercules fighting the Nemean lion.
At number 19 is a fifteenth-century building, originally home to the Giusti family, which over the centuries was home to the Academy of Filotimi (founded at the end of the sixteenth century to revive the ancient town in the nobility interest in the disciplines of chivalry), then a theater and even a hotel. Ancient structure remain two more trefoil windows and a nice rounded portal, carved spirals of flowers, bearing the emblem of the noble family from it entered the cloister, where there was a magnificent puteal now placed in a courtyard of the Public Library (a marble parapet decorated with carved reliefs and architectural motifs, erected to protect the mouth of the well which was situated in the center of the courtyard itself). At the end of the road there is also the church of St. Thomas the Apostle, who during the Napoleonic rule was abolished and transformed into the theater Morando, whose representations also attended Marie Louise of Austria, wife of Napoleon Bonaparte and daughter of the Emperor of Austria Francis l.
A few minutes walk from "Il Vicolo" Apartments Verona center. This name probably derives from Braida (from the German breit: wide) and it is certainly the most famous square in Verona, the perimeter of which is marked by the range of the Arena, the alignment of the beautiful old buildings that overlook the Liston, from the seventeenth century Gran Guardia Palace, site of important events throughout the year, the Town Hall, in the neoclassical style, closes the square to the east. The architect Sanmicheli and his school, starting in the sixteenth century, have helped to define the shape of this square. At the center, a cool garden by trees.
Coming from the south side of Verona, you enter the city by taking the course which takes its name from Porta Nuova. On the bottom of the street, you will see the entrance to the retaining walls that mark the medieval Verona: two arches of brick and stone, surmounted by a clock, on the right, a unique five-sided tower, the Pentagonal tower, leans against the building of the Great guard, built between 1609 and 1614 and finished in 1821. To the left leads to the walk on the walls and an interesting lapidary museum of ancient inscriptions, which overlooks the courtyard of the Accademia Filarmonica.
Passing from the gates of Bra, you immediately enter in the square and the Liston with its many cafes and restaurants. On the north side of Piazza Bra, Arena side of the wing, is accessed via Mazzini, one of the main streets for shopping lovers.
The monument that more than any other reminds the Roman origins of the city and its symbol worldwide. Every summer since 1913, its bleachers welcome six hundred thousand spectators of the world's greatest opera season
The Verona Arena is a great amphitheater, the third largest among those left to us and the best preserved, although in 1183 a strong earthquake has destroyed the triple order of overlapping arches that surrounded him entirely. Today remains of that facing only a glimpse, a wing consisting of four bays which we can imagine the grandeur of the original appearance. Perfectly intact is instead the internal order, uninterrupted sequence consisting of 72 double stone arches that create an ellipse hundred and ten meters wide and one hundred and forty long.
Built in the first century A.D. with marble from quarries in the province, has internally an oval shape with a major axis of about seventy meters and a minor axis of forty-five meters. The large auditorium is formed by forty-five steps which have an average height of many centimeters.
During the years of the empire received numerous gladiatorial combats, cited by Pliny the Younger, and over the centuries hosted performances of all kinds: tournaments, jousts, duels, ballets, circuses and representations of prose. In the nineteenth century it was also used for hot-air balloon ascents and bullfights, which in 1805 also witnessed Napoleon Bonaparte.
Since the summer of 1913 hosts a grand opera season, commissioned by the tenor Giovanni Veronese Zenatello to celebrate the centenary of the birth of Giuseppe Verdi. The first opera to be performed on August 10 was Aida, the most spectacular of Verdi's operas and perfectly suited to the grandeur of the amphitheater, supported by a wonderful acoustics.
She was born the largest open-air opera season in the world and since then the number of spectators has always honored its inventors: every summer the arena is home to hundreds of thousands of spectators.
Originally it was called the castle of San Martino in Aquaro and is, after the Arena, the most grandiose and imposing monument of the city. Assumed its present name after the construction of Castelvecchio's Castle of St. Peter.
It 'a very large castle, which impresses with its imposing appearance and its shape is definitely military, accentuated by battlements along the walls and corner towers covered by the seven, in which the ancient residential use today is evidenced by the remains of the original fresco decoration visible in some rooms. Was erected between 1354 and 1357 by Can Grande della Scala II, that in an era of wars tumultuous sought to transfer his court in a safe manor.
The complex consists of two parts, divided by the imposing thirteenth-century walls. To the left, coming from Via Roma, is the Palace of the Scala family, protected by a narrow courtyard with a double row of walls. At the center stands the high main tower (the tower of the keep) from which soars over the river bridge Scaliger, with three arches, and fortified battlements, which integrates the defensive system of the castle, forming a magnificent example of fourteenth-century engineering. On the right side of the structure is a large rectangular courtyard, originally intended to parade at the center lies a curious fountain in the shape of dog, a symbol of fidelity Scala.
Miscellaneous ups were the vicissitudes of the castle, often used as a fortress. Under Venetian rule was intended to arsenal and garrison during the Napoleonic occupation was modified the structure and built the body of the building along the river, with the Austrians it was used as barracks for the troops of occupation. In 1923 he became a museum, home of civic art collections at the time held at Palazzo Pompei, and subjected to a first restoration. In 1943 it hosted the Verona process by which the leaders were sentenced to death who had done depose Mussolini and by the end of the war was damaged by Allied bombing.
From 1958 to 1964 Castelvecchio was the subject of a new restoration and redevelopment of a museum designed by the architect Carlo Scarpa, who with his speech has brought to light the original structures wherever possible, freeing them from the additions and highlighting the successive layers.
Today is also home to the headquarters of the Castelvecchio Museum in Verona with a picture gallery, a sculpture gallery and an art library, open to the public. One of the most important collections of Italian art.
Regaste di S.Zeno
On the opposite side of the center with respect to the residence "Il Vicolo". One of the masterpieces of Romanesque architecture in Italy, the Basilica of San Zeno is one of the most important buildings of the city. And 'dedicated to the eighth bishop of Verona, a saint of African origin that are attributed many miracles and the conversion of the Venetian populations.
The original building dates back to the fourth century, when a small church was built near the tomb of the saint. Elongated and enlarged in 1117 after the earthquake that struck northern Italy, was completed in 1398 and renovated in the ceiling of the apse in the Gothic style.
The fašade, tuff and marble features a large rose window, the work of Brioloto. Magnificent portal, a precious artifact coated with 48 bronze panels made between the tenth and twelfth centuries by different authors. There are scenes from the life of Christ and the Old Testament. On the sides of the portal deserve attention bas-reliefs of the twelfth century, with sacred and profane of biblical inspiration on King Theodoric.
To the right of the basilica stands a tower of 72 meters which reflects the style of alternating bands of tuff and brick, and which contains the oldest bells in Verona, merged in 1149. On the left the cloister and the crenellated tower, the last remains of a great Benedictine abbey. The interior of the church with a Latin cross plan with three naves, has a peculiar subdivision on three levels: the crypt is at the bottom, topped first by the Church Plebana and then by the Presbytery (or Upper Church) which is accessed by two staircases in marble.
Particularly interesting are the baptismal font of the twelfth century, the great monolithic porphyry cup, placed on the left of the entrance, from the Roman Baths and the two wings of frescoes, made between two hundred and three hundred, which testify to the evolution of ' pictorial art in Verona.
The works are housed in the apse of greater value greater: the triptych by Mantegna depicting the Madonna Enthroned, and the great marble statue of San Zeno. Made in the thirteenth century, depicting the saint smiling good-naturedly while holding the pastoral staff from which hangs a fish. From the central staircase leads to the crypt, where he kept the body of the saint. Divided into nine aisles with arches supported by 49 columns (all with different capitals) is a pleasant mixture of styles and eras. The remains of the saint, whose face is covered with a silver mask, are kept in a glass case and wrapped in a bishop's dress.
The cloister is Romanesque in style and dates back to the twelfth century, composed of numerous small arches supported by coupled columns, contains ancient tombs, frescoes and a shrine which contained the wash of the friars.